Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gun for the Teacher



Many people are suggesting a solution to the problem of school violence is to arm teachers and other school personnel.  The story below is fiction (although the characters are based on people I know), but it could be if several things proposed did happen.  I really do not think they will when cooler heads prevail.  I’m hoping for reasonable gun control limitation, perhaps limits on large clips/magazines and some sort of slowdown on the large numbers of semi-automatic "sporting" rifles and a new, realistic look at mental illness or even simply kids and others who are struggling with problems.  Having over 40 years experience as a teacher and administrator, I obviously have some strong feelings on this subject.

   

Gun for the Teacher                          
Penelope Walters Swenson

 Millbrook High School, November 27, 2015
It has been several months since the administration requested that department chairs be armed.  I resisted, but, since the legislature repealed the prohibition on guns being carried in schools, I was pushed to comply.  Being chair used to mean dealing with how much of our very small budget could be spent on tradebooks or an occasional magazine in addition to being sure we were following the district curriculum and were meeting our improvement goals.  Now I am to carry a gun and be ready to defend. Defend what?  Defend how? I cannot say that the three poorly organized sessions of training (one hour each time) and the sessions at the range gave me any confidence that I could sort out who should be shot and how to avoid collateral damage in the concrete areas like hallways if I ever were called upon to draw my gun.  (How would I ever forgive myself if a bullet went astray and injured or even killed a student or colleague?)

Making things more complicated was the passage of an “open carry” law.  A parent can come on campus with a gun strapped to her flank (or his flank as this is an equal opportunity law).  One of our 18 year olds is challenging this new open carry law as it specifies he cannot carry his gun at school, even though he can elsewhere.  The case will not have a hearing until after he graduates, if he graduates, but it creates a ripple of concern through the faculty.

I feel a bit uncomfortable carrying heat.  Sure, as a kid I hunted.  I shot on a NRA team.  My police officer dad would make bets with unsuspecting out-of-town cops that his kid (me) could beat them shooting his service pistol and generally he won.  (We would go to the Blue Feather for a lemon ice cream cone when we won.)  But still, this is different.  I’m not firing a gun to kill a pheasant.  I’m not carrying a gun into the range for practice or a competition or even to win a few bucks for my dad.  The purpose of my gun is to make the school safer.

I’m not convinced.

Three days ago, I came upon a fight in the hall.  I shouted at the guys to break it up.  The hallway was filled with students watching.  I moved in closer.  It was uncomfortable as I knew my gun was slipping along against the pressing students.  I called to the guys again, using their names.  “Samuel, go with Mr. Douglas.”  Fortunately, Mr. Douglas was just coming out of his classroom.  He nodded.  “Jacob, come with me.”  The fight was a halfhearted bit of pushing and shoving.  Neither combatant was engaged to the point of being really dangerous, despite encouragement from some in the group, begging for escalation.

A student behind me shouted, “Hey teach, why didn’t you draw on ‘em?”  I did not respond, but underneath I was shaken.  What if it had been one of those serious fights?  What if the two did not break it up?  The gun was useless as a threat. 

In class, a bit later, Damien asked, “You know how to use that thing? Pull it out of the holster, I want to see what it looks like.” 

“Sorry Damien, I don’t unholster the gun.  It is just fine where it is.”

“Bet you can’t use it.  Bet you don’t even know how to load it.  Bet you don’t even know what kind of gun it is.”

I gave Damien THE LOOK and told him to pick up his text and start reading.  (Gun vs. THE look, I’ll take THE look as my weapon of choice!)

I knew it was a Glock.  I knew how to load it, having one extra magazine on my belt to supplement the 10 in the limited magazine already in the gun.  I did not know how to use it in a crowded hallway with many surfaces where ricochet could occur.  Further, unless I had a very clear shot and extreme clarity on why I should shoot, I would not be able to.  Threaten me?  I could not kill.  Threaten Damien or Jacob or Samuel or Marta—maybe.  But not in that ricochet-prone hallway filled with kids.  Better for me to run at the intruder and hope the kids could escape.

I’ve always been the type who would wade into a situation and talk it down to a rational level or, at least, get the kids to a place where they could chill for a few minutes and get calm.  I feel comfortable doing that.  Can I do it with a Glock strapped to my hip? 

Am I just an older woman, a heck of a teacher, but not a law enforcement officer, waiting for someone to push me over and steal the gun?  I’ve read about trained, strong, young law enforcement officers being overpowered and having their weapons taken.  Me?  I was pretty strong three decades ago, but even then one or two sturdy kids could have taken me down.  And attacking a teacher does not carry as serious a penalty as attacking a police officer.

I’m still a good shot.  I actually find target practice sort of fun, probably because I beat the guys—city boys who never hunted and were not in the military.  Being a country girl did give me an advantage.

Ramon comes in the door, stopping my reflection.  He stands there, eyeing the pistol over my jeans.  “I came to say goodbye.”  He looks very nervous.  “I’m on the run from the cops for something they think—for something I did.”  He pauses.  “That gun just does not fit you Ms. Teach.  You are not the Glock type.  I’ll remember you trying to help me write my ideas on a paper—not with a gun.”  He started toward me as if to give me a hug.  There were tears, or I thought there were.  “I won’t forget you.  I thought I owed it to you to say goodbye.”  He turned away, hastening toward the door. He shouted back to me as he dashed out, “I know you’ll call the cops—you must, but lose the gun Teach.  You couldn’t ever use it.  I promise I’ll go to college someday.”  The door slammed.  I called the police.  They asked where Ramon was going.  I did not know; I had not asked. 

I’m a teacher, not a police officer.  I respect the police.  My Dad was an officer.  But it is not for me. 

Wearing the gun makes me less confident in those things I do well with kids.  I’m good at establishing relationships, helping them set standards for themselves, probing ideas more deeply.  Ramon knows the gun is not for me.  I ponder, is Ramon one of my failures?  Right now it seems like it, but, I don’t think so.   Time will tell.  He knows he has much good inside and so do I.

But I don’t feel good inside with the gun on my flank.  I’m a teacher.  We are caring, compassionate, and sometimes relentless.  Our relentlessness has to do with our belief that all kids can learn, that education means something for the kids and the future of this nation.  The Glock holds me back from my professional goals.  In many ways, the Glock stands between me and my kids.  For some, I am a reason for them to stay straight--avoiding trouble.  They know I care.  They know I want their success and am there for them, whether it is attending games or consoling after a teenage breakup or helping with an application.

I head to the principal’s office.  “Mr. Thomas, I cannot do this.”  I take off the belt and the Glock, unload it, and hand the belt, holster, magazine, and Glock to him.  “Wearing this is antithetical to being the teacher I must be.  If it is required, I will find a way out of it.”  I’m almost skipping as I leave the office. 

Would I put my life on the line like Victoria Soto and the others at Sandy Hook?  Yes, I would do that as did Shannon Wright, Dave Sanders, and others in earlier school shootings.  They put the safety of their students above their own.  Would I try to tackle an assailant?  Of course I would try.  Do I want to carry a gun?  No thanks, I’m a teacher. 
 =========================


An afterthought—As a teacher or administrator, I need to exhibit the behaviors I want kids to emulate.  I must strive to be my best self—honorable and ethical, patient, life-long learner, courageous without arrogance, all those values and qualities that make us good citizens and learners.  Wearing that gun on my hip suggests there are problems I cannot solve with my personal efforts. 

I remember facing a girl who had been doing graffiti all over the school.  She was not our student.  I asked her to go to my office.  She was big and strong, I could tell that by how she carried herself she was tough.  She was about 8 to 10 feet in front of me and behind me was a wall of windows—not of tempered glass.  She said, “Who’s gonna make me?”  I took a step toward her.  She started toward my office.  Yes, I was scared inside, but I had a job to do.  I knew she could have taken me in an instant, but that half step toward her communicated that I was not intimidated.  She walked into my office, sat down, and began to give excuses.  After figuring out who her parents were, I called her mom.  Problem solved.  Mom came and assessed the situation.  She took the young lady home and administered punishment.   (The girl also returned and helped me paint over the markings.  She was very polite.)  The next day most of the kids at the school knew what happened.  There was a new respect for me, the assistant principal.  Would a gun have helped?  Not at all.  It would have been a crutch, negating my personal skills, undermining my integrity in the process, and making me ineffective.  Keep the gun Mr. Thomas, I don’t need it; I’m a teacher.


 There are many oped pieces and letters about this topic.  I've read more than I listed, but these got me started.


1 comment:

  1. http://legalclips.nsba.org/?p=17560 Teachers & guns on campus.

    ReplyDelete